Check here for updates on the availability of the Harvard Cryo-EM Center and the Molecular EM Suite (MEMS) in the phased re-opening of the HMS campus. If you need more information about how HMS is re-opening campus, please review this documentation.
- Both facilities have approved re-entry plans and will have limited access during Phase 1, 2, and 2B of the HMS plans
- Both facilities will only allow COVID-19 related work during Phase I, with an exception for grid delivery/shipments to the Cryo-EM Center
Each facility will only reach Phase 2 when we have all our safety protocols in place or when HMS permits us to move to Phase 2
- We moved to Phase 2 on 17Jun2020
Each facility will move to Phase 2B once proper enhanced PPE has been obtained for the staff in preparation for training
- We moved to Phase 2B on 13Oct2020
All those who are interested in training are required to provide their own face shield or face dome (enhanced PPE). We will begin two types of training:
- Superuser training – Qualified users within specific labs will be identified by facility staff and that qualified user will be responsible for training new users within their lab. Both trainer and user will follow the EH&S guidelines for enhanced PPE and their individual lab will provide either a face shield or face dome for each person. Face shields or face domes will be donned prior to entering the room and will remain on during the training session. The trainer will be responsible for describing the disinfection protocols and training on the microscopes and equipment. Both the trainer and trainee will be responsible for proper disinfection/disposal of their respective face shield or face dome.
- Staff training – For those labs without qualified users, staff will perform training on the microscopes and equipment, including disinfection protocols. Trainees will be expected to provide their own face shield or face dome in accordance with EH&S guidelines for enhanced PPE. Staff have already procured face shields. Face shields or face domes will be donned before entering the room and will remain on during the training session. The trainee will be responsible for proper disinfection/disposal of their face shield or face dome.
- The protocol for use of face shields or face domes has been posted by each of the rooms. The maximum occupancy of each room is still 1 person unless a training session has been scheduled and enhanced PPE is in use. All training sessions must be approved by a staff member.
- We reserve the right to block access to any trainee who doesn’t abide by the instructions on the website
COVID-19 related projects will now follow the same review process as non-COVID-19 work. Scheduling for COVID-19 related projects will be requested in PPMS and sessions will be approved by staff. The length of these sessions will be limited to the microscope allotment for each consortium member institution.
External users (MGH, DFCI, BCH, etc.): To access campus, you will need to enter at one of the three designated locations: Goldenson, C-Building/TMEC link, and the NRB. We recommend the C-Building/TMEC link (yellow circle on attached map) and then walk through TMEC or the C-building to access the facility you need. You must wear a mask while you are on campus, show security the Online attestation from your institution (or fill out a paper form provided at the entrance), and bring your HUID badge to be scanned. Once you are inside, your badge should work on all the normal access points you have. Please let Remya know if you have a problem.